Report Child Abuse
If you suspect a child is being abused, please call the Florida Abuse Hotline.
They can be reached:
By telephone at 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-96-2873)
By fax 1-800-914-0004, fax reporting form
By TDD 1-800-453-5145
Tips to remember:
- Believe the child. Abuse does happen. Do not assume the child is making up an issue of child abuse.
- Stay calm. Fear and anger may frighten the child.
- Give emotional support. Reassure, do not blame, punish or embarrass.
- Listen, but do not interrogate. Let the children tell in their own time and in their own way.
- Do not make promises you cannot keep. For example, "you'll never have to see them again." "I'll make sure they go to jail."
- Call 1-800-96-ABUSE. All professionals working with children are required to report suspicion but anyone with a reasonable suspicion can make a report.
Try to have some basic information available when reporting.
- Where did the abuse occur? What's the jurisdiction?
- Give the child's name, age and address.
- Give the parent's names.
- Give the name of the suspected abuser and his or her relationship to the child.
- Name the type of abuse suspected.
- Name other people who may have knowledge of the abuse.